Monday, January 16, 2012

Mini Meat Loaves

I  have an obsession with love recipes, recipe blogs, cookbooks. Many hours are easily spent trolling the Internet for the next new recipe to try--the next recipe my family will enjoy. When we first arrived in South Korea and moved into our home we did not have fast Internet, I was using my cell phone as a hot spot. It worked, but not as fast as my mind switches gears. Therefore, I discovered the cookbook section at the library on base--much to my husband's delight. See, book checked out of the library means that (1) I didn't spend money and (2) it eventually has to go back and thus keeps my cookbook obsession under control. One day while perusing the shelves I stumbled upon Betty Crocker Quick & Easy Cookbook, I swear promise, I saw the heavens part, a ray of light shone down on this enormous spiral bound book and just dared me to take it home. To appease the culinary gods I checked out that immense cookbook and about 4 of her best friends. Why only 9? Because the library has a limit on the number of books you can check out once and I had to let the kid get a few books too. *sigh*

Anyway, from that book I stumbled upon a few recipes I would be willing to use my family as guinea pigs for--this is one of them. I made them for the first time a few months ago. We ate them for dinner one night and I froze the rest into packages of three for future meals. Now three months later we are out of mini meat loaves in the freezer, so, it's what's for dinner tonight. As always my thoughts and changes are in red.

Mini Meat Loaves
Prep Time: 10 minutes  Start to Finish: 30 minutes  
6 servings(2 loaves each) My husband can eat two loaves, Meghan and I share a loaf.

  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef (at least 80%) since this recipe also has ground pork I spent the big bucks and got the really lean ground beef
  • 1/2 lb. ground pork 
  • 1/2 cup Original Bisquick mix 
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup) (I don't know where they found their small onion, but I have NEVER come across a small onion that only yielded a 1/4 cup when chopped...just saying)
  • 1 egg
  • Garlic....must have garlic, I minced two cloves for this amount. Tonight I will be doubling this recipe and will most likely do four to five cloves, but we love our garlic.
  1. Heat oven to 450*F. In small bowl, stir ketchup and brown sugar until mixed; reserve 1/4 cup for topping. In large bowl, stir remaining ingredients and remaining ketchup mixture until well mixed.
  2. Spray 13 X 9-inch pan with cooking spray. (I just take my cookie sheet and cover it with tin foil so when I am done cooking I can toss the foil. I know wasteful and increasing my carbon footprint, but as I have already said a couple of times--I am lazy.) Place meat mixture in pan; pat into a 12 X 4-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise down center and then crosswise into sixths to form 12 loaves. Separate loaves, using spatula, so no edges are touching. Brush loaves with reserved 1/4 cup ketchup mixture.
  3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until loaves are no longer pink in center and meat thermometer inserted in center of loaves reads 160*F.
Tonight I am going to serve this with garlic mashed potatoes, I TOLD you we love our garlic, and either a salad or green beans. I also have some lovely Korean pears, I might cut one of those up...my mouth waters just thinking about it.



Enjoy!

No comments: