Thursday, February 12, 2009

Southwestern Skillet Chilli


Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 18 minutes Servings: 6(1-cup)

I got this recipe from another one of my famed grocery checkout stand cookbooks, this one by Land O Lakes. This recipe reinforced my family's opinion on garbanzo beans(chick peas), next time I will be substituting white navy beans, we like those.

Ingredients:
  • 1 TBsp butter (the recipe specifies a particular brand, but to me butter is butter...it's all good)
  • 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces (we only use chicken breast in this family, it was still good)
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
  • 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 (8 ounce) tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 ts garlic powder
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet until sizzling; add chicken. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occassionally, until lightly browned (5 to 7 minutes). Stir in all remaining ingredients. (I added my seasonings first and toasted them slightly in the pan before adding the rest of the ingredients.) Continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook until flavors are blended(10 to 15 minutes).

No comments: