Thursday, February 12, 2009

Makeover Baked Potato Soup


Holy Hannah! This was a super easy dinner to make! I got this recipe from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine, the April/May 2008 edition. I have a subscription, and it is by far my favorite magazine. Phillip and I were decided the night I made this that this would be a great soup for once I make it to the mushy foods phase after my WLS.

Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. Yield: 8 servings(2 quarts)

Ingredients:
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 5 bacon strips, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup, plus 3 TBsp all-purpose flour, divided
  • 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 to 1-1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (we like spicey so I used the upper measurement of pepper sauce....whew....next time I will cut it back some)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (we don't like sharp, so we I used mild, and it was still yummy, go with what your family likes)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions, white portion only
  • Additional parsley, cheese, green onions, crumbled cooked bacon, optional
Directions:
  1. Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8 to 12 minutes or until tender, turning once. (The next time I will make this I will boil the potatoes whole in skin, like for a potato salad, the morning or night before.)
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels.
  3. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Stir in 1/4 cup flour; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Gradually stir in broth. Add the parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining flour with milk until smooth; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  5. Peel and cube potatoes; add to soup. Add bacon. Cook and stir until heated through. Add cheese and green onions; stir just until cheese is melted. Garnish with additional parsley, cheese, green onions and bacon if desired.

No comments: