Serves: 6 Prep: 7 min. Cook: About 10 min.
Even Miss M loved this recipe...but then again she loved pasta. I got this recipe from an Eating Light magazine, I know this issue is from around 2005, but I don't recall the specific issue.
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta
- 10 baby carrots (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1-1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pkg (5 ounces) shiitake mushrooms
- 1-1/4 lb ground turkey (optional) (Hero doesn't do ground poultry, so I used ground beef and it was yumm-o)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used beef broth)
- 1 medium yellow squash, qartered lengthwise, sliced
- 1 jar (26 oz.) marinara sauce
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water as package directs.
- Meanwhile put carrots and onion in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add carrots, onion and mushrooms; cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, 4 minutes or until almost tender.
- Add turkey, if using and cook, breaking up clumps, 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Stir in wine and squash; boil 1 minute.
- Stir in marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until squash is tender. Pour over drained pasta; toss to mix.