Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 2 Hours Yields: 6 servings
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, halved and sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- dried Italian seasoning to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Set aside. (I use my Pampered Chef microwave rice cooker)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon, and brown on each side. Add the onion, garlic, and green pepper to the skillet, and cook until soft, stirring frequently. Mix in the sausage, and cook until hot, then pour in the tomatoes. Cook just until heated through. Stir in the cooked rice and spaghetti sauce. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer to a large casserole dish, and cover with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, then remove the lid and cooked for an additional 15 minutes.