I got this recipe from the Taste of Home, Healthy Cooking, Dec/Jan. 2009 issue.
Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. Yield: 6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast (I used the Tyson Southwestern Chicken strips, and chopped them up a bit)
- 1-1/2 cups picante sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches) (we use whole wheat, we prefer them and can not tell the difference between the white and wheat.)
- 1 TBsp butter, melted
- 1 can your favorite refried beans. The recipe does not call for this, but we find that we like the chimichangas better with the beans. Our preferred refried bean is the Rosarita refried beans with black beans. I only used about 1/3 to 1/2 the can making the chimichangas, so I just heated the rest and served them as a side dish.
- In a small bowl, combine te chicken, 3/4 cup picante sauce, cheese, 1/4 cup onions, cumin and oregano. If using refried beans, spread a spoonfull down the center of the tortilla. Spoon 1/2 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Place seam side down in a 15in. x 10in. x 1in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Brush with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining picante sauce and onions.