Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mexican Rice


I know Hero found this recipe on-line, but I don't know where. In fact, all I have are his notes. It is a good thing both of us kind of know how to make rice or we'd be in trouble. Can not tell you how many scraps of paper, or napkins, with just ingredients written on them I found when organizing our recipes. I would hold it up for Hero to see and ask if it meant anything to him, as they were all in his writing. Ninety-nine percent of the time he said no, and it went into the shredder. Below is the recipe he has written down....see what I mean? At least he gave this one a title. Bless him!
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • canola oil
  • 1 cup rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine(you can substitute beef broth for the wine, the wine is used to deglaze the pan and all the alcohol cooks out before you eat it)
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes (Hero doesn't like chunky tomatoes, so I blitz them in either the blender or food processor real quick)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin (last time I made this I don't know what I was thinking, but I used 1/2 tsp cumin, and it was still delicious)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 cup beef broth
Directions:
  1. Saute the onion and green pepper in a little bit of canola oil in a skillet, cook until soft.
  2. Add the rice and garlic and saute with the onion and pepper for about 2 minutes. At this point I also add in my seasonings to toast them as well.
  3. Deglaze your skillet with the wine, or 1/2 cup of broth if you prefer.
  4. Add the canned tomatoes with their liquid and the 1-1/2 cup of beef broth. Bring to boil. Cover with lid and turn down to low. Let simmer about 20 minutes or until all the liquids have been absorbed.
I don't know how many servings this is, but my family of three can eat on it for two meals.

No comments: