This recipe comes from a recipe card I got in the mail over a decade ago. You know the kind you get in the mail in hopes that you will subscribe and pay an outrageous price for the rest. I have been holding on to it for years and figured it was about time I tried it out.
Hero doesn't like chicken and dumplings; this recipe reminded him too much of the dish he dislikes. This was not a hit with him. However, Miss M and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Prep time: 28 minutes Baking time: 35 minutes Serves: 6
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 1/2 tsp butter
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 frozen biscuits, thawed
- I had a handful of fresh mushrooms that I wouldn't use before they went bad, I quarted them and added them to this recipe. I thought it was good, but then again I like mushrooms.
- I also added a clove of garlic to this recipe...we are garlic people.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of an 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Chop the onion. Heat butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Stir in onion. Saute until tender. At this point I added the chopped mushrooms and sauted them for a few minutes with the onions. I also added one clove of fresh garlic at this point.
- Combine onion, chicken, soup, sour cream, milk and pimiento in a medium bowl and mix well. Soon mixture into prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle baked layer with 3/4 cup of the cheddar. Arrange biscuits is single layer over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar.
- Bake until biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbly. About 20 minutes longer. Serve immediately.