Thursday, February 20, 2014

Potatoes and Sausage

I am back. Back to menu planning, back to torturing trying new recipes on my family, I am back. Last week I tried this recipe for spicy chicken stew. It was a crock pot recipe, and it did make the house smell scrumptious. However, it was not received well, even the dog turned up her nose. After dinner the rest of the dinner was bid a farewell into the garbage disposal. It is very rare around here that a fail goes straight down the drain without passing go, without becoming a science project in the refrigerator.

Tonight's new recipe was a much bigger hit. In fact, I got the green light from Hero to try it again with chicken instead of sausage. (He'd rather I not cook sausage at all, but Mama loves sausage so he tolerates it on occasion.) When I first came across this recipe in a grocery check out recipe magazine there was an ingredient and a step that threw me off for a bit, but it proved to be a pleasant surprise. As always, my thoughts, and changes to the recipe are in red. Since I doubled the recipe that is the way I will share the recipe with you.

Potatoes and Sausage

  • 1 pkg. Kielbasa, sliced into 1-inch pieces, I like to use the skinless variety
  • 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
  • 1 medium sweet bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces, I completely forgot this ingredient and it still tasted delicious
  • 8 red potatoes cut into fourths, I left the peels on, removing any eyes or blemishes on the potatoes
  • 4 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 4 TBsp olive oil, I just used the canola I had in the cupboard
  • 1/4 tsp salt, I didn't measure and I probably put in closer to 1/2 tsp
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, again, I didn't measure and probably used closer to 1/2 tsp
  •  1 TBsp of dried thyme, I didn't measure this either, just eyeballed it in my palm
  • 1 TBsp of dried rosemary, I didn't measure this either, just eyeballed it in my palm
  • 1/2 C. heavy cream
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. I used a mortar and pestle to crush up my dried herbs. 
  3. Mix all the ingredients, except for the cream, in a bowl. Then pour into a greased 2-qt. casserole dish.
  4. Bake covered for 45 minutes.
  5. Stir in the cream, mix well, continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes until potatoes are cooked and most of the cream is incorporated. 
This casserole fed my family of three with some left overs. Meghan and I each had a small portion, while Hero had a couple of servings. I think this would feed a family of six with no left overs, but be sure to have plenty of sides just in case. The next time I make this I think I will substitute the sausage for cut up chicken breasts, and I will try using my favorite seasoning, Cavender's Greek Seasoning

Enjoy!

No comments: