Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Taco-Filled Pasta Shells

I got this recipe from the Taste of Home, "No-Fuss Freezer Meals", Fall 2008 book. This recipe comes from a Marge Hodel of Roanoke, Illinois.

I will give the recipe as it is on the recipe card. However, I cut the menu in half to test whether or not we liked it before we make a bunch to freeze. We liked it so I will be making a full batch to put in the freezer for Phillip and Miss M for after I have my WLS.


You will need:
  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 envelopes taco seasoning (we use the low-sodium kind in this house, and I was glad I did, I think it might have been too salty otherwise)
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese cubed
  • 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
Additional Ingredients (for each casserole)
  • 1 cup each salsa and taco sauce
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup (4ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (I just used the Cheddar and Jack blend shredded cheese you can buy in the dairy case)
  • 1-1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add taco seasoning, prepare according to package directions. Add cream cheese, cook and stir for 5-10minutes or until melted. Transfer to a bowl; chill for 1 hour.
  2. Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Gently toss with butter. Fill each shell with about 3 tablespoons of meat mixture. Place 12 shells in a freezer container. Cover and freeze up to 3 months.
  3. To prepare remaining shells, spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with stuffed shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake ay 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses and chips. Bake 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve with sour cream and onions.
TO USE FROZEN SHELLS: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours (shells will be partially frozen). Spoon salsa into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with stuffed shells and taco sauce. Cover and bake ay 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue as above.

I forgot to add the tortilla chips. When we sat down to eat I realized I for got them. Phillip just crushed chips over the top of our dinners. I had a bite before he did this, the chips make a difference for the better. I served this over a bed of shredded lettuce...Yummy!

Guess my secret is out of the bag with this picture...I really don't like my food to touch.

Enjoy!

No comments: