Sunday, November 23, 2008

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

We LOVE potatoes at the Wheeler house. However since doing the South Beach Diet a few years ago we have trained ourselves to restrain on indulging ourselves too often. When we do have potatoes they are usually mashed and either Garlic Mashed or Ranch Mashed. I'll save the Ranch Mashed recipe for another day....

If you are in a hurry you can just peel your potatoes, cut them into cubes, place them in a saucepan with a pinch of salt and enough water to cover them. Then you can add a few peeled cloves of garlic to the pan to boil along with the potatoes. They will mash up real nicely. Along with our love of potatoes we also LOVE garlic, so we are usually heavy handed around here. This is a recipe with no actual measurements, when it comes to the garlic, use amounts your family will enjoy. Using this method makes the garlic taste strong and sharp.

Today I had some time on my hands so I decided to roast my garlic. Roasting your garlic will make the garlic subtle and sweet. First I cut the top off my head of garlic. Then I placed the head of garlic on a piece of tin foil set in a small baking dish. After I drizzled olive oil, salt, and pepper on the garlic, I covered it in the foil.


I baked the garlic in the oven at 350 degrees Farenheit for about an hour. You know the garlic is done when it is soft. Let the garlic cool completely. Once the garlic has cooled, squeeze it to get the cloves out of the skin.

Once you are this far you can store your garlic in the refrigerator for about a week.

Tonight I peeled and cut enough potatoes to feed the two of us. Boiled them in salted water. When they were done I drained the water and then put them back on the burner that I turned down to low. Doing this will allow any extra water to evaporate. About half of my roasted garlic were added to my cooked potatoes, then I mashed my potatoes and garlic. Once they were mashed I added about 2 TBsp of butter cut into small pieces to my mash. A Dash of salt and fresh ground pepper will make your potatoes even tastier. Finally I add a couple of dollops of sour cream. Stir well, taste, if you like more sour cream then add more...this recipe is all about what tastes good to you and your family.

Tonight we had this with Fast Marinated Flank Steak.


Enjoy!

No comments: