Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why do we do that? and Secret Ingredients

Today I made potato salad to go along with our BBQ beef. As I was peeling and cubing my potatoes I was thinking about secret ingredients. My potato salad has an ingredient that shocks most people when they find out it is in there--pepper sauce. Yes, Tabasco. Not a lot, just a couple of shakes, only enough to warm the back of the tongue and throat.

What do you put in your potato salad? I put:

  • Yukon Gold potatoes, because they are waxy and prevent "mashed" potato salad
  • Hard boiled eggs, I usually boil one egg per potato with one extra to slice on top.
  • Celery
  • Onions, I prefer red onions in my potato salad.
  • Chopped olives, I prefer black olives. Green olives are NASTY.
  • Mayo
  • Stone ground mustard
  • Garlic powder
  • Sweet relish, although if I am really LUCKY and have some of my Granny Franny's zuchinni relish I would use that in a heart beat!
  • Apple cider vinegar--just a splash
  • Tabasco
  • Salt, Pepper, and a bit of sugar
Now for the "Why do we do that?"

Why do we I sprinkle paprika on my potato salad? I cannot taste any flavor that it imparts. I realized this afternoon that I put paprika on my potato salad because that is what my Granny Franny does. I love that woman!


No comments: