Sunday, January 11, 2009

Spanish Chicken


I got this from a Taste of Home check-out counter cook book...sensing a pattern here? I must confess, my name is Lynn and I am a check-out counter cookbook addict.

As always any changes, hints, and opinions are in red.

Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves...this is what the recipe calls for, and it is what we like in this house...but I bet it would work with your favorite chicken part just as well
  • 2 TBsp canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 can, 14.5oz diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (we didn't have any so I just left this out and used 1 cup of chicken stock instead of the water.)
  • 1 to 3 tsp chilli powder...I used 1 1/2 tsp when I made this, I think we would like it with more
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin...we would like it better with a tad bit more cumin, next time I think I will use 1/4 tsp
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 cup picante sauce
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese...i didn't have any of this either, so I just used a cheddar/jack blend
  • 1 can (2.25oz) sliced ripe olives, drained....I forgot to add these...oops
Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onions, green pepper, and garlic until tender. Add garlic when onion is almost cooked, you don't want to burn it, it will taste bitter. Stir in the tomatoes, water, rice, bouillon, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. I added the seasonings to the onions, peppers and garlic first to "toast" them, then added the rest of the ingredients...a trick I learned watching the "naked chef" in the UK. NO, he was not really naked!
  2. Pour into a greased 11x7x2in. baking dish, top with chicken. Cover and bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover; spoon picante sauce over chicken and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Garnish with olives.

No comments: